7.13.2009

Retinal Regret

One day, I'm gonna invent the first camera that is wired into the neurological pathway from our eyes to our brain (probably not, but wouldn't that be sick?). For today, in the absence of this invention, I was regretting being without my camera but still super blessed to see the things I saw.

Tumbleland, to me, might very well be one of the most visually stimulating places anywhere. Especially in the morning, with light offshores, and small to medium size waves. After my killah workout on the sand, I jumped in the water to cool off. I ended up swimming over to the rock slab to get the lactic acid and tightness from the workout out of my body as much as possible.

Was small, but had some dredgers. Caught a few, underwater bodysurf-style (so easy, the wave just pulls you as it jacks onto the slab), and one sick one at the end regular bodysurfing. The water over there is so clear at that hour and at that size, the views underwater were so insane. Was cool to dive and see what the bottom looks like, too. When I started I was thinking I wish I had my fins. But after swimming around for a while, I was kind of glad was just me - the feeling of being free in the water with no peripherals had a purity about it that was pretty liberating for a change.

Standing on certain parts of the slab are pretty cool too. It's like a mini-version of what it might be like to hover in a helicopter over giant surf - you can see every little ripple and movement of water as it shapes its way over the reef. All right there around your ankles.

All in all, it was one of those experiences where time seems to be slowing down and all of your senses seem to be absorbing every little thing that's going on around you in your environment.

Not from today, but this shot from da archives pretty much sums up what I'm talking about w/Tumbles in the morning (and it was more or less like this today)...

No comments: